A phrase that typically follows me around is ‘how do you find time to do everything? (The answer is I don’t, I just prioritise very well!) But, it left me thinking about how to find the time to network when you have no time to network. I have two young children, a business and far too many books to write! That doesn’t leave much time for networking…
Here are my 10 ideas on places for business networking when you don’t have time to network:
1. Use social occasions to network – recently I met one of my associates via a friend’s summer barbeque
2. Remember to update your LinkedIn status a couple of times a week with what you are up to. (Or if you are really busy, get your secretary to update it for you.)
3. If you are stuck in a queue, strike up a conversation with the person next to you – you never know where it will lead.
4. On a plane or a train? Talk to the person next to you.
5. Instead of attending all the sessions at a conference, aim to meet some people during the sessions you miss.
6. Invite a couple of people you want to meet to lunch rather than seeing them individually
7. Regularly host social events for your friends and business contacts
8. Instead of getting bored at big family events, take the time to find out how your relation’s careers and businesses are going.
9. If you are away from home, go down into the bar or restaurant and look for other lone business travellers to talk to.
10. When travelling away from home, look through your business contacts to see who you could meet up with on your travels.
If you would like help to win business from your network, how about downloading your free copy of my Joined Up Networking toolkit ?