In our blog series on 12 ways to successfully navigate your firm’s politics (part 1, part 2, part 3), we talked about avoiding gossiping or supplying information to the firm’s grapevine. Here are 8 questions to ask yourself BEFORE you share some information:
- Why am I sharing this?
- Does it create or solve a problem?
- Do people really need to know this?
- If I choose to not tell anyone, will the firm be any worse off?
- Am I name-dropping?
- Have I labeled facts as facts and opinions as opinions?
- Will this be considered grassing, gossiping or cutting down another person or group?
- In the worst case, how could this person use this information so that it could reflect badly on me?
What other things should you think about before sharing any information?